Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)

Archaeological evidence from this site indicates that it was already inhabited by the Etruscans and Romans. The earliest mention of the church and adjacent monastery goes back to 1016, when a pre-existing chapel was transformed and dedicated to the Archangel Michael, under the directions of the Benedictine monk Bono.


The building was handed over to Camaldolese monks between 1105 and 1111, in whose hands it remained until 1782, when monasteries were suppressed, and the church was transformed into a Priory. The building in its present state is the result of a long series of alterations beginning in the 13th century, continuing with the transformation of the medieval bell tower in 1676, a late baroque re-adaptation in mid 18th century and re-building following the earthquake in 1846, ending with the completion of repair work in 1963, after the second world war.


The marble front dates from the 1300s with three doors at street level; the central one is surmounted by a Gothic aedicule with a Madonna and Child with Angels and an Abbott holding an Offering by Lupo di Francesco (the originals are in the Museum of S. Matteo). Above there are three rows of loggias. Writing on the lower part of the wall refers to the election of a Rector of the University in the early years of the 17th century.


The interior is divided into three aisles by columns crowned with Romanesque capitals and the main altar is built above the 11th to 12th century crypt. Here you can admire a 14th century Crucifix attributed to Nino Pisano. The frescos and paintings date from the 13th to the 18th centuries. Two archaeological explorations, one in front of the Church and another behind it, discovered a 13th century brick-paved street and the remains of the late 13th century monastery, a modern-day well and ten 16th - 17th century silos for storing cereals.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (F. Anichini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Borgo Stretto, 8-12, 56127 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 66-69.

F. Redi et alii, San Michele in Borgo (Pisa). Rapporto preliminare, 1986, in “Archeologia Medievale”, XIV (1987), pp. 319-368.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)
The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which ...
read more
Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini) Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini)
The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315. ...
read more
Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti) Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti)
The Baptistry was begun in 1152 but it took over two centuries to complete. ...
read more
Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti) Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)
The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo

Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)

Archaeological evidence from this site indicates that it was already inhabited by the Etruscans and Romans. The earliest mention of the church and adjacent monastery goes back to 1016, when a pre-existing chapel was transformed and dedicated to the Archangel Michael, under the directions of the Benedictine monk Bono.


The building was handed over to Camaldolese monks between 1105 and 1111, in whose hands it remained until 1782, when monasteries were suppressed, and the church was transformed into a Priory. The building in its present state is the result of a long series of alterations beginning in the 13th century, continuing with the transformation of the medieval bell tower in 1676, a late baroque re-adaptation in mid 18th century and re-building following the earthquake in 1846, ending with the completion of repair work in 1963, after the second world war.


The marble front dates from the 1300s with three doors at street level; the central one is surmounted by a Gothic aedicule with a Madonna and Child with Angels and an Abbott holding an Offering by Lupo di Francesco (the originals are in the Museum of S. Matteo). Above there are three rows of loggias. Writing on the lower part of the wall refers to the election of a Rector of the University in the early years of the 17th century.


The interior is divided into three aisles by columns crowned with Romanesque capitals and the main altar is built above the 11th to 12th century crypt. Here you can admire a 14th century Crucifix attributed to Nino Pisano. The frescos and paintings date from the 13th to the 18th centuries. Two archaeological explorations, one in front of the Church and another behind it, discovered a 13th century brick-paved street and the remains of the late 13th century monastery, a modern-day well and ten 16th - 17th century silos for storing cereals.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 66-69.

F. Redi et alii, San Michele in Borgo (Pisa). Rapporto preliminare, 1986, in “Archeologia Medievale”, XIV (1987), pp. 319-368.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

BENEDETTI ALESSANDRO33m

Via Dellʼ Aeroporto, 43 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502268

PISAKECH DI ROMBOLI MARIA & C. SAS33m

Via Pisano Andrea, 71 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 532318

JACS DI ALBERTO MINCHIELLI E GIULIO TADDEI SNC33m

Piazza Del Pozzetto, 5 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9914672

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

PONTE DI MEZZO49m

Piazza Garibaldi, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 349 0880688
E-mail: info@pontedimezzo.com
Sito: www.pontedimezzo.com

LE DONZELLE DI VETTOVAGLIE B & B63m

Vicolo delle Donzelle, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 329 8026760
E-mail: niccolain@hotmail.com
Sito: www.bbledonzelle.com

RELAIS DEI MERCANTI106m

Piazza Sant\'Omobono, 16 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 5202135
E-mail: relaisdeimercanti@gmail.com
Sito: www.relaisdeimercanti.it

VIEW ALL