Facciata  - Chiesa S. Giuseppe (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa S. Giuseppe (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)

Founded in 1530, this church, belonging to the Gesuate sisters of Lucca, was consecrated in 1572. It was the first building of a convent completed in 1534. The building was completely restructured and greatly modified Between 1707 and 1710 under the direction of Giuseppe and Francesco Melani.


The plastered façade is flanked by pilasters culminating in Corinthian capitals, supporting a wide pediment, below which is a large window framed in marble above the doorway, it too framed in marble. Two marble plaques record privileges and honours conferred on the Compagnia del Crocione, and a third recalls restoration work carried out in 1895. A new bell tower was erected in 1710; square in shape, it is built in brick with a gallery in pietra serena.


The rectangular interior is completed by an apse and a choir loft; the church has an exceptional collection mostly of 18th century works of art. Near the entry, two marble putti support a shell-shaped holy water font (mid 18th century) and four half columns with stucco decorations embellish the presbytery.


An oil painting by Ranieri del Pace, representing The Flight into Egypt (1729) hangs above the main altar. The vault of the apse is decorated with the coats of arms of Pisa, the Compagnia del Crocioneand the Misericordia (1955). On the left is a fresco from the school of Giovanni Battista Tempesti, representing the Flagellaton of Christ (early decades of the 19th century). A chapel in the right wall is dedicated to The Most Precious Blood. On the vaulted ceiling is a fresco of the Holy Face and Flight of Angels. (1895) by Ranieri Cardelli. Closer to the entrance is the Perelli altar dedicated to the Holy Shepherdess and a wood and stucco statue of Christ Fallen at The Foot of The Cross, carved by Giuseppe Giacobbi in 1705 for the Certosa and later transferred to this church.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Zampetti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via San Giuseppe, 13, Pisa
Connected routes: Santa Maria est
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 121-123.

A. Patetta, D. Dringoli, La Chiesa di S. Giuseppe, ETS, Pisa 2005.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY SANTA MARIA EST

Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro) Campano - Torre del Campano e altri edifici medievali (M. Febbraro)
The most famous building on Via Calvalca is the tall Campano (bell) Tower with ...
read more
Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini) Parte della facciata - La Sapienza (D. Stiaffini)
The Foundation Deeds of Sapienza are dated 1472 when Lorenzo il Magnifico ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini) Facciata - Chiesa di San Frediano (Francesca Anichini)
The church of S. Frediano is first mentioned in 1061. ...
read more
Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it) Scorcio - Piazza Dante (wifi.unipi.it)
The open space of Piazza Dante is the result of alterations to this area in the early ...
read more
Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero) Particolare dei palchi e della scena - Teatro Rossi (A. Sobrero)
This is one of the public theatres in Pisa. ...
read more
Piazza Carrara (APT di Pisa) Piazza Carrara (APT di Pisa)
Originally named Piazza S. ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Reale (D. Tarantino) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Reale (D. Tarantino)
This palazzo, designed by the architect Bernardo Buontalenti, was built between 1583 ...
read more
Navata centrale e altare maggiore - Chiesa di San Nicola (F. Anichini, C. Balbarini) Navata centrale e altare maggiore - Chiesa di San Nicola (F. Anichini, C. Balbarini)
The Church of S. Nicola is first documented in 1097. ...
read more
Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
L'ingresso dell'edificio su Via S. Maria - Domus Galilaeana (M. Baldassarri) L'ingresso dell'edificio su Via S. Maria - Domus Galilaeana (M. Baldassarri)
The Domus Galilaeana occupies the ancient Palazzo della Specola, belonging to Pisa ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di San Giuseppe

Facciata  - Chiesa S. Giuseppe (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)

Founded in 1530, this church, belonging to the Gesuate sisters of Lucca, was consecrated in 1572. It was the first building of a convent completed in 1534. The building was completely restructured and greatly modified Between 1707 and 1710 under the direction of Giuseppe and Francesco Melani.


The plastered façade is flanked by pilasters culminating in Corinthian capitals, supporting a wide pediment, below which is a large window framed in marble above the doorway, it too framed in marble. Two marble plaques record privileges and honours conferred on the Compagnia del Crocione, and a third recalls restoration work carried out in 1895. A new bell tower was erected in 1710; square in shape, it is built in brick with a gallery in pietra serena.


The rectangular interior is completed by an apse and a choir loft; the church has an exceptional collection mostly of 18th century works of art. Near the entry, two marble putti support a shell-shaped holy water font (mid 18th century) and four half columns with stucco decorations embellish the presbytery.


An oil painting by Ranieri del Pace, representing The Flight into Egypt (1729) hangs above the main altar. The vault of the apse is decorated with the coats of arms of Pisa, the Compagnia del Crocioneand the Misericordia (1955). On the left is a fresco from the school of Giovanni Battista Tempesti, representing the Flagellaton of Christ (early decades of the 19th century). A chapel in the right wall is dedicated to The Most Precious Blood. On the vaulted ceiling is a fresco of the Holy Face and Flight of Angels. (1895) by Ranieri Cardelli. Closer to the entrance is the Perelli altar dedicated to the Holy Shepherdess and a wood and stucco statue of Christ Fallen at The Foot of The Cross, carved by Giuseppe Giacobbi in 1705 for the Certosa and later transferred to this church.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 121-123.

A. Patetta, D. Dringoli, La Chiesa di S. Giuseppe, ETS, Pisa 2005.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

OSTERIA LA TOSCANA7m

Piazzetta Tongiorgi, 1/3 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 554557

PIZZERIA AL BAGNO DI NERONE67m

Largo Parlascio, 26 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 24321

PIZZERIA LE MURA80m

Lg. Parlascio, 33/34 - Pisa
Tel.: 393 2257773

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

VACANZE TOSCANE SAS8m

Via San Giuseppe, 4 - Pisa
Tel.: 0565 777172
E-mail: info@tuscanyholidays.it
Sito: www.tuscanyholidays.it

DI STEFANO70m

Via Sant\'Apollonia, 35 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 553559
E-mail: hds@email.it
Sito: www.hoteldistefano.it

A CASA DOINA \"TOWER\"123m

Largo del Parlascio, 10 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 5201596
E-mail: tower@bbacasadoina.it
Sito: www.bbacasadoina.it

VIEW ALL