Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)

The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which German soldiers died fighting on the side of the Pisans. In their honour, a German confraternity founded this Church in 1317, and decorated it with the arms of the knights. These decorations were removed some time before 1643.
In 1414 the building was annexed to the Foundlings Hospital (Ospedale dei Trovatelli) and, under the new name of San Giorgio degli Innocenti, became the chapel of the adjacent hospital. Later both Church and Institution were governed by the Ospedale degli Innocenti in Florence (1567) and finally they passed to the Ospedali Riuniti di Santa Chiara (1784), to which they still belong and who, in 1989, conceded their use to the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre (Cavalieri del Santo Sepolcro).
The church is built entirely in brick. A pattern of small bricks enlivens the flat wall of the gabled front, decorated with a row of dead archlets and a double mullioned window. In the lunette above the door is a fresco of the Holy Family painted in the manner of the 14th century by Curzio Rossi in 1932. The south wall of the Church, too, is decorated with dead arches and double mullioned windows. A small belfry stands above the roof.
The simple interior has an early 19th century wooden coffered ceiling and on the walls are 19th century copies of ovals painted (in about 1773) by Giovanni Stella e Giuseppe Soldaini, depicting Christ, the Madonna and Saints On the north wall is a marble altar (1722) above which hangs a canvas with the Massacre of the Innocents by Domenico Ceuli. Above are two 18th century works by Giovan Battista Fanucci and, on the left of the high altar, is an Immaculate Conception, by an unknown 18th century artist.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (M. Zampetti; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Via Santa Maria, 102-108, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 119-120.

L. Carletti, C. Giometti, Una Chiesa ai margini. San Giorgio dei Tedeschi a Pisa tra storia materiale e storia della tutela, ETS, Pisa 2009.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia) Facciata verso l'Arno - Logge dei Banchi (G. Gattiglia)
Designed by Bernardo Buontalentiand built by will of the Grand Duke of Tuscany ...
read more
Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro) Palaxio nuovo - Palazzo Gambacorti (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Gambacorti is the result of a long sereies of extensions and adaptations, ...
read more
Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)
The bridge was rebuilt after the war in reinforced concrete and faced in white stone ...
read more
Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net) Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net)
Facing on to this square are historically important buildings that defined social and ...
read more
Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi

Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)

The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which German soldiers died fighting on the side of the Pisans. In their honour, a German confraternity founded this Church in 1317, and decorated it with the arms of the knights. These decorations were removed some time before 1643.
In 1414 the building was annexed to the Foundlings Hospital (Ospedale dei Trovatelli) and, under the new name of San Giorgio degli Innocenti, became the chapel of the adjacent hospital. Later both Church and Institution were governed by the Ospedale degli Innocenti in Florence (1567) and finally they passed to the Ospedali Riuniti di Santa Chiara (1784), to which they still belong and who, in 1989, conceded their use to the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre (Cavalieri del Santo Sepolcro).
The church is built entirely in brick. A pattern of small bricks enlivens the flat wall of the gabled front, decorated with a row of dead archlets and a double mullioned window. In the lunette above the door is a fresco of the Holy Family painted in the manner of the 14th century by Curzio Rossi in 1932. The south wall of the Church, too, is decorated with dead arches and double mullioned windows. A small belfry stands above the roof.
The simple interior has an early 19th century wooden coffered ceiling and on the walls are 19th century copies of ovals painted (in about 1773) by Giovanni Stella e Giuseppe Soldaini, depicting Christ, the Madonna and Saints On the north wall is a marble altar (1722) above which hangs a canvas with the Massacre of the Innocents by Domenico Ceuli. Above are two 18th century works by Giovan Battista Fanucci and, on the left of the high altar, is an Immaculate Conception, by an unknown 18th century artist.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 119-120.

L. Carletti, C. Giometti, Una Chiesa ai margini. San Giorgio dei Tedeschi a Pisa tra storia materiale e storia della tutela, ETS, Pisa 2009.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

RISTORANTE L'EUROPEO39m

177, Via Santa Maria - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560531

VALENZA GIOVANNA49m

Via Galli Tassi Angelo, 6 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560660

ANTICA TRATTORIA ANTONIETTA52m

Via Santa Maria, 179 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 561810

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

GRAND HOTEL DUOMO68m

Via Santa Maria, 94 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 825088
E-mail: info@grandhotelduomo.it
Sito: www.grandhotelduomo.it

RELAIS I MIRACOLI68m

Via Santa maria, 187 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 560572
E-mail: info@relaisimiracoli.it
Sito: www.relaisimiracoli.it

HELVETIA69m

Via Don Gaetano Boschi, 31 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 542154
E-mail: helvetiapisatower@gmail.com
Sito: www.pensionehelvetiapisa.com

VIEW ALL