Facciata - Chiesa di S. Domenico (M. Baldassarri) photogallery Facciata - Chiesa di S. Domenico (M. Baldassarri)

The Church and adjoining convent belonged to the enclosed order of Dominican nuns. Following damage to the building during the second world war, the nuns moved to the monastery of S. Domenico Nuovo (in via Uguccione della Faggiola) taking with them the reliquaries and the works of art that were most important for worship. Today the convent building has been adapted and is mostly occupied by shops.


The convent was founded in the late 14th century by Chiara Gambacorti – a nun at the convent of S. Croce in Fossabanda, and member of a powerful family of merchants – who in 1382 founded the first devotional community of the Dominican Order. As well as helping the needy, the convent became a powerful force in reforming the Order.


Construction of the convent and other buildingswas only completed in 1408. The plainness of the facade reflects the ideals of the Order, as does the architecture of the Church, divided into two distinct parts: the part behind the altar was the so-called nuns’ choir or inner church and was separated from the public by two grilles. The blessed Chiara was buried here shortly after her death in 1420. A marble slab, the remains of her tomb, is now in the church of S. Domenico Nuovo. Thirteen years later, the body of the saint was transferred to a coffin and the tombstone placed in the niche decorated with a large fresco depicting the Crucifixion with saints, still visible inside the church.


The church was completely renovated in the 1700s, when the ornate high altar and the canvas paintings by Giovanni Battista Tempesti depicting Scenes from the Life of the Blessed Chiara (1782) were placed here.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (C. Balbarini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Corso Italia, 176, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

A. M. Roberts, Dominican Women and Renaissance Art. The Convent of San Domenico of PisaAldershot, Ashgate 2008.
F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 157-159.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro) Facciata sul Lungarno - Palazzo Mosca (M. Febbraro)
Palazzo Mosca is a combination of several buildings dating from the late 12th century ...
read more
Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro) Abside - Chiesa di Santa Cristina (M. Febbraro)
Mentioned for the first time in the 8th century, the Church of St. ...
read more
Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons) Palazzo Giuli-Rosselmini-Gualandi (Palazzo Blu) (Saliko, wikimediacommons)
In the 1300s, Palazzo Blu belonged to the Dell’Agnellos, an important family in the ...
read more
Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons) Ponte di Mezzo (Daderot, wikimediacommons)
The bridge was rebuilt after the war in reinforced concrete and faced in white stone ...
read more
Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net) Vista dall'alto - Piazza Garibaldi (www.tabaccheria21.net)
Facing on to this square are historically important buildings that defined social and ...
read more
Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di San Domenico

Facciata - Chiesa di S. Domenico (M. Baldassarri)

The Church and adjoining convent belonged to the enclosed order of Dominican nuns. Following damage to the building during the second world war, the nuns moved to the monastery of S. Domenico Nuovo (in via Uguccione della Faggiola) taking with them the reliquaries and the works of art that were most important for worship. Today the convent building has been adapted and is mostly occupied by shops.


The convent was founded in the late 14th century by Chiara Gambacorti – a nun at the convent of S. Croce in Fossabanda, and member of a powerful family of merchants – who in 1382 founded the first devotional community of the Dominican Order. As well as helping the needy, the convent became a powerful force in reforming the Order.


Construction of the convent and other buildingswas only completed in 1408. The plainness of the facade reflects the ideals of the Order, as does the architecture of the Church, divided into two distinct parts: the part behind the altar was the so-called nuns’ choir or inner church and was separated from the public by two grilles. The blessed Chiara was buried here shortly after her death in 1420. A marble slab, the remains of her tomb, is now in the church of S. Domenico Nuovo. Thirteen years later, the body of the saint was transferred to a coffin and the tombstone placed in the niche decorated with a large fresco depicting the Crucifixion with saints, still visible inside the church.


The church was completely renovated in the 1700s, when the ornate high altar and the canvas paintings by Giovanni Battista Tempesti depicting Scenes from the Life of the Blessed Chiara (1782) were placed here.

Address:
Bibliography:

A. M. Roberts, Dominican Women and Renaissance Art. The Convent of San Domenico of PisaAldershot, Ashgate 2008.
F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa. Guida alla conoscenza del patrimonio artistico, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 157-159.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

CENTRALE DA SPARTACO52m

Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 22 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 23335

Ristorante Indiano India Palace83m

Via D'Azeglio Massimo, 19 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20308 - 3396075406
E-mail: info@indianfood.it

RISTORANTE LA BUCA114m

V. D'Azeglio, 6 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 24130

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

LA TORRE149m

Via Cesare Battisti, 17 - Pisa - Pisa
Tel.: 050 25220 - 349 8518
E-mail: info@hotellatorre.pisa.it
Sito: www.hotellatorre.pisa.it

LA PACE150m

Viale Gramsci Galleria B, 14 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 29351 - 050 2935
E-mail: info@hotellapace.it
Sito: www.hotellapace.it

CATERINA158m

Via Cesare Battisti, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 9913864
E-mail: info@bbcaterina.it

VIEW ALL