Giovanni da Milano (attrib.), particolare dell’Annunciazione, Santa Maria del Carmine (affresco staccato dal chiostro): da M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut e F. Paliaga, La chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, Pisa, ETS, 2002 photogallery Giovanni da Milano (attrib.), particolare dell’Annunciazione, Santa Maria del Carmine (affresco staccato dal chiostro): da M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut e F. Paliaga, La chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, Pisa, ETS, 2002

This Church faces the square of the same name, on the left side of the street now called corso Italia, but which was once via S. Gilio. The church was founded by Carmelite monks in 1325, and both it and the adjoining monastery underwent radical transformations during the years between the second half of the 16th century and 1612, when it was newly consecrated. It was badly damaged by bombing in the second world war, damage clearly to be seen in the roof, re-built in 1965, with reinforced concrete beams.


Inside, the 14th century masonry was completely masked by the alterations in furnishings required by the Council of Trent, in particular by Baroque replacements to the original altars, although externally the original Gothic brickwork of the north wall of the church is recognisable. Of particular interest is the chapel, commissioned by the notary Giuliano di Colino degli Scarsi, begun in 1425, for which Masaccio painted a large altarpiece later dismembered and divided among Pisa (Museum of S. Matteo, S. Paolo), London (National Gallery), Berlin (Staatliche Museen), Naples (Museo di Capodimonte) and Malibu (Paul Getty Museum).


Notable too, are paintings from later centuries that still adorn the 16th century altars, including the Madonna in glory with Saints by Aurelio Lomi (1590 ca.) and the Ascension of Christ by Alessandro Allori (1581), respectively above the first and second altars, against the north wall, and the Apparition of the Virgin to St. Andrea Corsini by Francesco Curradi (1629 ca.), above the altar inside the church front. In the refectory there is still a fragment from the 14th century of an Annunciation. In three lunettes of the cloister there are early 17th century frescoes – the remains of a huge cycle of Stories from the life of Carmelitan Saints and the Life of Christ.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (C. Balbarini; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Corso Italia, 88, 56125 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 162-166.

M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut, F. Paliaga, La Chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, ETS, Pisa 2002.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)
In the Tuscan language, from at least the 16th century the word “casino” meant a ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons) Facciata - Chiesa di San Michele in Borgo (Lucarelli, wikimediacommons)
The Church and monastery are first mentioned in 1016 as the adaptation of a ...
read more
Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)
The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which ...
read more
Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini) Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini)
The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315. ...
read more
Walking in the City

Chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine

Giovanni da Milano (attrib.), particolare dell’Annunciazione, Santa Maria del Carmine (affresco staccato dal chiostro): da M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut e F. Paliaga, La chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, Pisa, ETS, 2002

This Church faces the square of the same name, on the left side of the street now called corso Italia, but which was once via S. Gilio. The church was founded by Carmelite monks in 1325, and both it and the adjoining monastery underwent radical transformations during the years between the second half of the 16th century and 1612, when it was newly consecrated. It was badly damaged by bombing in the second world war, damage clearly to be seen in the roof, re-built in 1965, with reinforced concrete beams.


Inside, the 14th century masonry was completely masked by the alterations in furnishings required by the Council of Trent, in particular by Baroque replacements to the original altars, although externally the original Gothic brickwork of the north wall of the church is recognisable. Of particular interest is the chapel, commissioned by the notary Giuliano di Colino degli Scarsi, begun in 1425, for which Masaccio painted a large altarpiece later dismembered and divided among Pisa (Museum of S. Matteo, S. Paolo), London (National Gallery), Berlin (Staatliche Museen), Naples (Museo di Capodimonte) and Malibu (Paul Getty Museum).


Notable too, are paintings from later centuries that still adorn the 16th century altars, including the Madonna in glory with Saints by Aurelio Lomi (1590 ca.) and the Ascension of Christ by Alessandro Allori (1581), respectively above the first and second altars, against the north wall, and the Apparition of the Virgin to St. Andrea Corsini by Francesco Curradi (1629 ca.), above the altar inside the church front. In the refectory there is still a fragment from the 14th century of an Annunciation. In three lunettes of the cloister there are early 17th century frescoes – the remains of a huge cycle of Stories from the life of Carmelitan Saints and the Life of Christ.

Address:
Bibliography:

F. Paliaga, S. Renzoni, Chiese di Pisa, ETS, Pisa 2005, pp. 162-166.

M. L. Ceccarelli Lemut, F. Paliaga, La Chiesa di S. Maria del Carmine, ETS, Pisa 2002.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
PLACES OF WORSHIP
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

PIZZERIA NANDO5m

Corso Italia, 103 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 27242

OSTERIA IL CAPODAGLIO SRL27m

Via Del Carmine, 32 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 20038

ANCORA CAPODIMONTE DI SALVATORE SEMIONE77m

Via Del Carmine, 14 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 870690

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

WALKING STREET78m

Corso Italia, 58 - Pisa
Tel.: 393 0648737
E-mail: marcotrogu@hotmail.com

VILLA THERESA84m

Via della Foglia, 13 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 49159
E-mail: studioquesse@libero.it
Sito: www.villatheresa.it

DINI FIORENZA86m

Corso Italia, 59 - Pisa

VIEW ALL