Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero) photogallery Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)

The Casino dei Nobili was built in mid 18th century for the delight of the aristocracy. In those days Pisa and the Baths at San Giuliano were internationally famed resorts for tourists. The dances, gaming, receptions and occasions for genteel conversation that used to be organised to delight the nobility and their many foreign guests were very expensive so, the better to fulfill their obligations due to rank, the Pisan nobility decided to build public assembly rooms at their own expense, to be run by the aristocracy as a whole. A building that stood in piazza del Ponte di Mezzo, belonging at the time to the monks of the Nicosia monastery, was theperfect choice. It was ceded to the nobles and opened in 1754. Entry was permitted only to a restricted circle of noblemen and ladies, to army officers serving under a sovereign and to foreigners, the last of whom had to be accompanied by a person who could guarantee their belonging to the aristocratic elite.


Although the Casino was frequented by cosmopolitan but choice society, breaks with etiquette were not infrequent. Gambling could spark quarrels and cause fights even among the best-mannered gentlemen, to the point that admission was granted explicitly only to those who could behave in a way suitable to noblemen and women. During the Napoleonic period, with the opening of the Stanze Civiche, the organization began to decline; this was a private upper middle class club for members of society and notables of the town but which did not place too much emphasis on status.


The Casino de Nobili continued to decline until 1852 when, condemned because of its by then anachronistic criteria of selection, it was sold off to the Stanze Civiche society.

Text compiled by the Società storica Pisana - (A. Sobrero; trad. E. Hastings Philpott)
Last update 18/06/2013
Address: Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi, 9, 56126 Pisa
Connected routes: Piazza dei Miracoli
Bibliography:

A. Addobbati, Il casino dei Nobili di Pisa e il disciplinamento delle aristocrazie toscane nel XVIII secolo, in “Bollettino Storico Pisano”, LXII (1993), pp. 277-307.
A. Addobbati, Alle origini dell’associazionismo borghese: le stanze pubbliche di Pisa (1808-1816) in R.P. Coppini, M.Cini (a cura di), Cityens Pisani: una provincia negli anni napoleonici, Edizioni PLUS, Pisa 2005, pp. 121-150.

STILL IN THE ITINERARY PIAZZA DEI MIRACOLI

Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini) Capitelli - Ex chiesa SS. Felice e Regolo (F. Anichini)
The small neogothic building on via Ulisse Dini includes the remains of the Church of ...
read more
Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia) Statua di Ulisse Dini - Via Ulisse Dini (G. Gattiglia)
This street is named after the Pisan mathematician and Senator (1845-1918) whose ...
read more
Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino) Statua - Piazza dei Cavalieri (D. Tarantino)
This square is the result of re-styling ordered by Cosimo I in 1558 and entrusted to ...
read more
Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino) Facciata e ingresso del Museo - Orto Botanico (D. Tarantino)
Created by order of Cosimo I de’ Medici on the iniziative of the great botanist, Luca ...
read more
Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino) Facciata - Chiesa di San Giorgio dei Tedeschi (D. Tarantino)
The name of this Church comes from the battle of Montecatini (1315) during which ...
read more
Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini) Bambino in fasce sopra il portale - Ospizio dei Trovatelli (F. Anichini)
The Foundlings’ Hospital (Ospizio dei Trovatelli) was built in 1315. ...
read more
Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti) Battistero di San Giovanni  (Antonio Alberti)
The Baptistry was begun in 1152 but it took over two centuries to complete. ...
read more
Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti) Edificio - Campo Santo Monumentale (A, Alberti)
The Cemetery, forming a backdrop to the Cathedral place on its north side, was the ...
read more
Walking in the City

Casino dei Nobili

Facciata, su piazza Garibaldi - Casino dei nobili (A. Sobrero)

The Casino dei Nobili was built in mid 18th century for the delight of the aristocracy. In those days Pisa and the Baths at San Giuliano were internationally famed resorts for tourists. The dances, gaming, receptions and occasions for genteel conversation that used to be organised to delight the nobility and their many foreign guests were very expensive so, the better to fulfill their obligations due to rank, the Pisan nobility decided to build public assembly rooms at their own expense, to be run by the aristocracy as a whole. A building that stood in piazza del Ponte di Mezzo, belonging at the time to the monks of the Nicosia monastery, was theperfect choice. It was ceded to the nobles and opened in 1754. Entry was permitted only to a restricted circle of noblemen and ladies, to army officers serving under a sovereign and to foreigners, the last of whom had to be accompanied by a person who could guarantee their belonging to the aristocratic elite.


Although the Casino was frequented by cosmopolitan but choice society, breaks with etiquette were not infrequent. Gambling could spark quarrels and cause fights even among the best-mannered gentlemen, to the point that admission was granted explicitly only to those who could behave in a way suitable to noblemen and women. During the Napoleonic period, with the opening of the Stanze Civiche, the organization began to decline; this was a private upper middle class club for members of society and notables of the town but which did not place too much emphasis on status.


The Casino de Nobili continued to decline until 1852 when, condemned because of its by then anachronistic criteria of selection, it was sold off to the Stanze Civiche society.

Address:
Bibliography:

A. Addobbati, Il casino dei Nobili di Pisa e il disciplinamento delle aristocrazie toscane nel XVIII secolo, in “Bollettino Storico Pisano”, LXII (1993), pp. 277-307.
A. Addobbati, Alle origini dell’associazionismo borghese: le stanze pubbliche di Pisa (1808-1816) in R.P. Coppini, M.Cini (a cura di), Cityens Pisani: una provincia negli anni napoleonici, Edizioni PLUS, Pisa 2005, pp. 121-150.

mappa

USEFUL INFORMATION

TipologiaTypology
HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
CondividiShare:
Google

TO EAT

DA. PIZZI & CO. DI NICOLETTI DANIELE E C. S.N.C.21m

Vicolo Delle Donzelle, 9 - Pisa
Tel.: 348 4064725

BENEDETTI ALESSANDRO26m

Via Dellʼ Aeroporto, 43 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 502268

PISAKECH DI ROMBOLI MARIA & C. SAS26m

Via Pisano Andrea, 71 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 532318

VIEW ALL


TO SLEEP

PONTE DI MEZZO37m

Piazza Garibaldi, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 349 0880688
E-mail: info@pontedimezzo.com
Sito: www.pontedimezzo.com

LE DONZELLE DI VETTOVAGLIE B & B47m

Vicolo delle Donzelle, 3 - Pisa
Tel.: 329 8026760
E-mail: niccolain@hotmail.com
Sito: www.bbledonzelle.com

ROYAL VICTORIA HOTEL92m

Lungarno Antonio Pacinotti, 12 - Pisa
Tel.: 050 940111
E-mail: post@royalvictoria.it
Sito: www.royalvictoria.it

VIEW ALL