In the ancient district of Chinzica, along San Martino street, you will find many elegant palaces and two churches: San Sepolcro and San Martino. The street is home to several shops such as boutiques, carpet sellers, herbalists, estate agents, artisans and a wealth of restaurants and bars where good wine and typical food are served.

Twice a week, an itinerant market takes place, and another market, a gastronomic one, will soon go off in the Pear square and in San Martino square.

The street ends in the Scotto Garden, which is a wonderful example of garden-fortress, where, once a year Pisa in Fiore, a splendid and colorful flower exposition, takes place.

In 1850 lived in San Martino 250 people: armourers, shoemakers, painters, tailors, silk traders, varnishers, weavers and so on. Most of those shops were still open until the 80’s and still nowadays some restaurants and artisans animate the street.

The Fiumi e Fossi Palace, in San Martino street n’60, belonged to the Lanfranchi family, later on, during the 17th century, it was sold to the Fiumi e Fossi Office. Its garden was home to the Della Gherrdesca houses, that were demolished preventing from building new ones because in 1284, Ugolino Della Gherardesca was considered guilty for the Meloria naval defeat.

Bacciomei dal Borgo di San Marco Palace (San Martino street n48-54)

it rose during the 16th century as the result of the unification of some tower-houses, while in 1755, the façade was restored. In this house lived Flaminio dal Borgo (1705-1768) who wrote the “Dissertations about Pisan history”.

In Tizzoni Palace, n’21/27 is a statue which traditionally represents Kinzica Sismondi, a legendary heroine who, in 1005 saved Pisa from a Saracen attack. The statue was part of a roman sarcophagus.

The Ceuli or Cevoli family came from the pisan village of Cevoli. They were shipowners of several companies that took part in the Gioco del Ponte competition, “The Bridge Joust”. The Cevoli palace, n’108,rose from the 16th century unification of several tower- houses. In 1709, the Royal family of Danmark and Norwege were guests of the palace.

Invia ad un amico Stampa Edited by (Comune di Pisa)
Last update 27/01/2014
Walking in the City

San Martino Street

In the ancient district of Chinzica, along San Martino street, you will find many elegant palaces and two churches: San Sepolcro and San Martino. The street is home to several shops such as boutiques, carpet sellers, herbalists, estate agents, artisans and a wealth of restaurants and bars where good wine and typical food are served.

Twice a week, an itinerant market takes place, and another market, a gastronomic one, will soon go off in the Pear square and in San Martino square.

The street ends in the Scotto Garden, which is a wonderful example of garden-fortress, where, once a year Pisa in Fiore, a splendid and colorful flower exposition, takes place.

In 1850 lived in San Martino 250 people: armourers, shoemakers, painters, tailors, silk traders, varnishers, weavers and so on. Most of those shops were still open until the 80’s and still nowadays some restaurants and artisans animate the street.

The Fiumi e Fossi Palace, in San Martino street n’60, belonged to the Lanfranchi family, later on, during the 17th century, it was sold to the Fiumi e Fossi Office. Its garden was home to the Della Gherrdesca houses, that were demolished preventing from building new ones because in 1284, Ugolino Della Gherardesca was considered guilty for the Meloria naval defeat.

Bacciomei dal Borgo di San Marco Palace (San Martino street n48-54)

it rose during the 16th century as the result of the unification of some tower-houses, while in 1755, the façade was restored. In this house lived Flaminio dal Borgo (1705-1768) who wrote the “Dissertations about Pisan history”.

In Tizzoni Palace, n’21/27 is a statue which traditionally represents Kinzica Sismondi, a legendary heroine who, in 1005 saved Pisa from a Saracen attack. The statue was part of a roman sarcophagus.

The Ceuli or Cevoli family came from the pisan village of Cevoli. They were shipowners of several companies that took part in the Gioco del Ponte competition, “The Bridge Joust”. The Cevoli palace, n’108,rose from the 16th century unification of several tower- houses. In 1709, the Royal family of Danmark and Norwege were guests of the palace.


mappa

INFORMATION

Share Share:

UPCOMING EVENTS

EXPLORE SULLA LUNA E OLTRE

FROM 29 MAR TO 21 JUL 2019
Pisa, Palazzo Blu

Alfred Hitchcock exhibition at Museo della Grafica

FROM 09 APR TO 01 SEP 2019
Pisa, Museo della Grafica

Mostra "resurrectio - tributo ai monti pisani"

FROM 18 MAY TO 08 NOV 2019
Pisa, Meeting Art Craft Center

I colori della prosperità: frutti del vecchio e nuovo mondo

FROM 04 JUN TO 30 JUN 2019
Pisa, Museo della Grafica